Metrology—the exacting science of measurement for process control—is crucial to the advancement of semiconductor manufacturing. Accordingly, metrology faces some of the most demanding challenges in its history as the chip industry progresses into the nanoscale and toward the limits of physical laws. Areas of particular concern include advanced patterning for lithography, new transistor structures and materials, and the effects of measurement on the processes themselves.
SEMATECH and our R&D partners operate a robust metrology program oriented to both near-term manufacturing and next-generation technology development. Its success will allow measurement science to enable the indispensable advances in lithography, materials and interconnects that will push semiconductor evolution continuously forward.
Metrology for Advanced Architecture
- FinFET metrology
- Metrology for memory
- Metrology for interconnects
Next-Generation Metrology Infrastructure
- Next-generation defect inspection
- Next-generation defect review
- Metrology for buried and non-visual defects
- Optical Metrology Innovations
- X-Ray Metrology Innovations
- Electron and Ion Beam Metrology Innovations